ABC For a Choking Adult – Basic first aid
Choking occurs when a foreign body (usually food) gets trapped in the throat or windpipe
If you see a conscious, choking individual that is coughing.
- Encourage continued coughing.
- If the person is unable to cough, speak, or breathe,
then take the following steps:
- Call for Help
- Lean person forward and give 5 back blows with heel of your hand.
- Give 5 quick abdominal thrusts by placing the thumb side of your fist against the middle of the victim’s abdomen, just above the navel. Grab your fist with the other hand.
Repeat until the object the person is choking on is forced out and person breathes or coughs on his or her own.
- If the person is still not responding or is unable to breathe seek Urgent Medical Attention.